Immigration Law and Visas
In recent years, Colombia has gone from being a country of emigration to a country of immigration. Consequently, the demand for competent and reliable advice for carrying out visa procedures has increased considerably.
The authorities on visa procedures are the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bogotá and the Colombian consulates general abroad. We recommend careful planning and professional assistance in the visa application process. The visa is the basis for a legal and permanent residence in Colombia, and it is, therefore, vital to avoid unexpected problems in the process.
Resolution 6045 of 2017 of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs which contains essential provisions governing visas, currently stipulates three categories: visitor, migrant, and resident. These categories are subsequently divided into several sub-categories. CM Legal will help you identify the most suitable visa and prepare the individual application. The objective is to have an impeccable visa application so that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs will promptly approve it the first time around. Returns and inquiries from the Ministry that prolong the process, or the inconvenience of having to provide additional information on short notice after the initial submission, can all be avoided with careful planning. Through many years of practice, CM Legal knows exactly which documents, formalities and what form of presentation are important and accurate. CM Legal is very familiar with the mentality and guidelines of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and can, therefore, complete applications in a highly effective manner. If any problems should arise, we are committed to finding straightforward solutions, as they are oftentimes small formalities.
- General advice and guidance before immigrating to Colombia.
- Advice for companies sending personnel to Colombia.
- Identification of the most appropriate type of visa.
- Preparation and presentation of visa applications and assistance throughout the entire process.
- Obtaining the physical visa in the passport from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, through CM Legal’s messenger service in Bogotá.
- Advice regarding the procedures to be completed before immigration to Colombia
- Advice in cases of overstay, deportation, or expulsion.
- Immigration compliance support for businesses.
- Support with recognition and validation of foreign academic degrees with the Colombian Ministry of Education.
- Advice regarding the requirements for performing a regulated profession in Colombia.
- Obtaining Colombian nationality.